Lawrence, MA – NEI recently celebrated the completion of Union Crossing II, involving the $20.2 million adaptive reuse of the historic Duck Mill.
Located in Lawrence at the corner of Union and Island streets, this project is the second phase of a two-mill renovation.
The challenging conversion and restoration of the decayed five-story 132,000sf historic mill building included the creation of 73 family-friendly affordable apartments and 35,000sf of commercial space.
The space features original elements of the building including over-sized windows with views of the North Canal and the Merrimack River, 12-ft.-high ceilings, wide open wood floors, and exposed wooden columns.
NEI partnered with Lawrence Community Works and Durkee, Brown, Viveiros & Werenfels Architects on the Duck Mill project.
Duck Mill originally opened in 1896 to manufacture a heavy woven canvas called Duck, used to make sails, tents, etc. Manufacturing stopped in about 1950, and two floors of the building were occupied for 30 years by a furniture show room. The building was mostly vacant until it was purchased by Lawrence Community Works in 2008.