Webster, MA – Gorman Richardson Lewis Architects (GRLA) recently completed a new school gymnasium and parish center at St. Joseph School in Webster. Established in 1892, the elementary school is operating within a parish campus adjacent to St. Joseph Basilica and the parish rectory.
The new gymnasium, full-service commercial kitchen, and parish center provide the school and parish with a state-of-the-art athletic facility and performance center as well as a spacious function hall and kitchen, serving the needs of the school and the community at large. Project construction was by Lauring Construction.
Beginning in 2008 as part of a substantial expansion project, GRLA worked closely with the building committee to develop a feasibility study and conceptual vision. Working with the larger community including parents, teachers, students, and neighbors, GRLA and St. Joseph considered several site options before arriving at the final solution.
While programming the expansion project and developing conceptual options for the addition, GRLA reviewed materials and design elements that recall surrounding architecture and town landmarks, allowing the new building to look to the future of education.
To accommodate funding, construction was divided into two phases beginning in 2013. GRLA also designed and produced St. Joseph’s fundraising material for the project.