Boston – Boston’s Government Center Garage, a nine-story, 2,300-space garage that occupies five acres and separates six neighborhoods (Market District, Bulfinch Triangle, the North End, Beacon Hill, Government Center, and the West End) and the Rose Kennedy Greenway will be transformed into 3 million sf of mixed-use transit-oriented development.
CBT Architects’ Government Center Garage Redevelopment plan recently received national recognition as a 2015 recipient of the AIA Honor Award for Regional and Urban Design.
An innovative and sustainable phasing mechanism has been developed to implement the master plan, including a sequence that keeps the garage in place during early phases by carefully threading development on and around the existing structure.
The western portion of the garage will be maintained intact and in use, resulting in a significant savings in embodied energy and materials.
Once the eastern half of the garage has been removed, Congress Street will once again be open to sunlight, and the eastern parcel will become an active public space that reunites neighborhoods and opens urban vistas. The project will add 812 new housing units and 3 million sf of development.
The Boston Garage project team includes:.
- Developer: HYM Investment Group LLC.
- Owner: Bullfinch Congress Holdings LLC.
- Architect: CBT Architects.
- Structural engineers: McNamara/Salvia, Inc.
- Mechanical, electrical, and plumbing consultant: WSP Flack + Kurtz.
- Permitting consultant: VHB/Vanasse Hangen Brustlin, Inc.
- Traffic consultant: Howard Stein Hudson Associates, Inc.
- Parking consultant: Walker Parking Consultants.
- General contractor: Tishman Construction Corp. of Mass.
- Legal counsel: Rubin & Rudman, LLP.
- Community relations: Tom Palmer Communications, DiFronzo Consultants and InkHouse.