Awards People

Wessling-Designed Coddington Building Wins Paul E. Tsongas Award

Coddington Building

Coddington Building

Quincy, MA – Preservation Massachusetts recently honored the historic Coddington Building with the prestigious Paul E. Tsongas Award at the Annual Preservation Awards Dinner held May 6 at the Fairmont Copley Plaza in a ceremony celebrating the culmination of many years of hard work, investment, vision, and collaboration for the completed and restored historic buildings of the commonwealth.

Wessling Architects was responsible for the restoration and adaptive reuse of the building, transforming it from academic uses into administrative and IT offices for the city of Quincy.

Originally constructed in 1909, the Coddington Building was designed by Charles Brigham, architect for the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston, and the building had served as an educational facility from grade school to college throughout the years before the restoration process began in the summer of 2013. Coddington had also been added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1989 by the National Park Service.

Following a complete interior renovation, the newly restored 40,000sf of office space is now home to the city school department, administrative offices, city and school information technology (IT) departments, city printing department, and a new meeting space for the public. The project also included the restoration of the building’s exterior to its original condition, including a new slate roof, copper gutters, new galvanized metal fascia, soffit and dentils to match the original design, and new energy-efficient aluminum windows.

In addition, the property was upgraded with new utility services, landscaping, site paving, and exterior lighting improvements.

“The Coddington Building is an outstanding adaptive reuse of a historically significant building,” said Stephen Wessling, CEO of Wessling Architects. “The original design lent itself well to office use, while we were able to preserve the architectural beauty of the original structure for future generations.”