Historic Tavern Converted into Classrooms

| August 15, 2017

South Natick – Nauset Construction recently began work on a project that will transform an 18th-century tavern into a new facility used by the middle school on the campus of the Riverbend School in Natick. The completed project will provide new classroom, office, and multipurpose space for Riverbend’s expanding campus.

Designed by Piatt Associates, the project includes the conversion of the Peletiah Morse Tavern, which was built in 1748 to serve as a residence, tavern, and stage stop for travelers on the Old Hartford Road, as well as the construction of a two-story, 4,200sf addition. The existing addition to the tavern (circa 1901) was demolished to make way for the new building. When completed, the new facilities will house science and math classrooms, a large multipurpose space for music instruction, a welcome center, and administrative offices.

In order to retain the character of the tavern, historically accurate replica windows and a hand-hewn front door will be installed, and the wood siding, trim, and masonry will reflect the style of the original buildings. The tavern’s first floor will be lowered for added ceiling height, a second floor ceiling will be exposed to reveal the original beams, and a faux chimney will be rebuilt in the tavern using the bricks from an original, which had previously been demolished. In addition, the entire MEP and fire protection systems in the tavern will be replaced.

The project is anticipated to be completed by mid-December.

 

Tags: , ,

Category: All, Education, Restoration/Renovation