Education

From the Desk of Jolene Knapp, CAE

Welcome,

Are you familiar with “integrated planning”?

By integrated, we mean that the people who are responsible for or involved in planning on campus should make informed decisions based on a dialog with (1) colleagues in other functional areas on campus, and (2) people directly affected by the plans, e.g., students, local residents, and government.

It’s such a simple concept—sharing information—but we all know that these important conversations don’t happen for a variety of reasons. Good planning is collaborative, transparent, and integrated!

The Society for College and University Planning (SCUP) is unique among higher education associations in that we recognize that members who work at architectural, engineering, and construction firms have just as much to share as their institutional colleagues when it comes to the integration of planning on campus. SCUP does not differentiate its members by assigning corporate folks to an associate membership role. Corporate members are full, voting, office-holding members of our community and we welcome their expertise.

Our membership is based on professional development and long-term, relationship-building rather than high-pressure business development, so please take a moment to learn more about SCUP’s unique culture by visiting www.scup.org/membership/culture.html.

We invite you and other members of your firm (and your clients!) to join SCUP if you believe that planning on campus needs to be integrated and to help spread the good word about SCUP at the colleges and universities with whom you work.

Joining SCUP is a great investment if you need to reach the leaders on campus who are responsible for academic, facilities, fiscal, infrastructural, and strategic planning.

60% of SCUP members work at colleges and universities—of all sizes and types. Of those, 40% are in facilities. The remaining 60% of our institutional members are a mix of senior-level administrators: CEO-president-chancellor, academic (including provost), strategic planners, financial, institutional research, student affairs-housing, technology, and advancement.

Our annual, international conference this year will focus on the theme of “Plan for Transformation.” The annual conference (SCUP-49) will be held July 12-16, 2014, at the David L. Lawrence Convention Center in Pittsburgh, PA. Visit http://scupannualconference.org to learn more.

SCUP-49 will kick off a celebration of the society’s 50th culminate at our 50th impact on higher education through the years has been profound, thanks to our members,  and we will tell the stories of the men and women who have changed education through their volunteer work at SCUP and on the job.

In addition to our annual, international conference, we also offer regional conferences and special one-day events. SCUP’s Mid-Atlantic and North Atlantic regions are having conferences in March:

• North Atlantic’s regional conference is March 12-14, 2014, at Boston University. The theme is “Minding the Gap: Linking Mission, Resources, Technology, and Place.” A block of guestrooms is reserved at the Hilton Boston Bay Back.

• Mid-Atlantic’s regional conference is March 23-25, 2014, at Drexel University in Philadelphia, PA. The theme is “Engagement for Value, Viability & Vitality.” A block of guestrooms is reserved at Sheraton University City Hotel.

• Regional sponsorships are available.

• Walk-in registrations are welcome. Please join us!

Please take a moment to learn more about SCUP and what we have to offer. Visit www.scup.org.

Leave a Comment

Take advantage of High-Profile’s current subscription rates now, by signing up for a monthly or annual subscription!

Learn More!