- This event has passed.
AIA CT: Advancing Equity and Affordability in the Connecticut Housing Market
December 1 @ 1:00 pm - 5:00 pm
AIA/Allied Members: $25.00
CT Legislator: Free
Join us as we focus on new and proposed legislation related to housing, zoning, and development.
How can these changes improve equity and build wealth in historically marginalized communities while maintaining the health, safety, and welfare of CT residents?
- Inform the audience about proposed and new housing and zoning policies in relation to urban planning, safety in communities, and security
- Gain a perspective on how proposed policies could have a meaningful impact on our communities, as well as potential roadblocks to the passage/success pertaining to site selection and design
- Encourage support and advocacy for legislative changes that will improve equity and affordability in the built environment within the state of Connecticut (will discuss codes, zoning, regulations in the upcoming legislative session)
- Hear about and contribute to an open discussion about what the role of the architect is in advancing equity and affordability in the Connecticut housing market
Representative Quentin “Q” Williams
CT Housing Committee Co-Chair
Panel Discussion: Policy Primers & Initiatives from Housing Advocacy Groups
Moderator: Gina Calabro, Hon. AIA CT (Executive Director/CEO, AIA Connecticut)
• Peter Harrison (Director, Desegregate CT)
• Erin Boggs, Esq. (Executive Director, Open Communities Alliance)
• Kiley A. Gosselin (Executive Director, Partnership for Strong Communities)
Case Study: Mansfield, CT Inclusive Zoning Efforts
Jennifer Kaufman, AICP
Acting Dir. of Planning and Development, Town of Mansfield
Roundtable Perspectives: How will proposed policies impact our communities? What are potential roadblocks to their passage/success?
Moderator: Joe DeLong (Executive Director/CEO, CT Conference of Municipalities)
• Representative Robyn Porter (Hamden/New Haven)
• First Selectman Fred Camillo (Greenwich)
• Jim Perras (CEO, Home Builders Association of CT)
Open Forum Discussion: What is the Role of the Architect in the Realm of Equitable and Affordable Housing in CT?
Moderator: Marissa Mead, AIA
Associate Principal & Director of Art Integration, Svigals + Partners