- This event has passed.
RESCHEDULED: ABC Convention 2020
August 17 @ 8:00 am - August 19 @ 5:00 pm
ABC Convention 2020 Rescheduled for Aug. 17-19
Due to the current medical advisories, health warnings, travel restrictions, speaker/vendor/exhibitor cancellations and shutdowns by numerous essential persons and entities, in addition to the recent declaration by the World Health Organization that the outbreak of COVID-19 is a pandemic (a recognized health threat constituting a national emergency—a “force majeure”)—it has become impracticable and/or impossible for Associated Builders and Contractors Inc. to hold its convention at the Music City Center in Nashville, Tennessee, March 23-27, 2020. As a result, ABC has rescheduled the convention for Aug. 17-19, 2020.
March Board of Directors and Committee Meetings
The virtual board meeting will be held Wednesdsay, March 25th from 1:00 – 5:00 p.m. E.D.T. Committee meetings scheduled for March 24th will proceed virtually at the discretion of each committee chair.
In the meantime, below is general information on ABC’s plans for the rescheduled convention.
Competitor Orientations: 11:30 a.m.-3 p.m.
Kick-off Networking Reception: 3:30-5 p.m.
Opening General Session Featuring Keynoter Jon Dorenbos: 5:30-7 p.m.
Opening Night Celebration: 7-10 p.m.
Tuesday, Aug. 18
National Craft Competition and Exhibit Hall: 8 a.m.-3 p.m.
Construction Management Competition Presentations: 8:30 a.m.-12 p.m.
NCC Viewing and Lunch: 12-3 p.m.
General Session Featuring ABC Chief Economist Anirban Basu: 3:15-4:15 p.m.
Excellence in Construction® Awards: 5:30-10 p.m.
Wednesday, Aug. 19
Morning Keynote Session: 10-11:30 a.m.
Association Excellence Awards Luncheon Featuring Keynoter Brant Manswar: 12-2 p.m.
Careers in Construction Awards: 4:30-6:30 p.m.
Closing Night Celebration: 7-10 p.m.
*Schedule is subject to change
Rescheduled Convention Fees and Process
ABC is offering an attractive registration fee that incentivizes attendees to take part in all elements of the August convention. The fee has been reduced to $475. No a-la-carte registration options are available, with the exception of the Excellence in Construction® Awards gala* and the National Craft Championships guest pass. Any registered convention attendee who paid more than $475 will be refunded the difference upon request. Email email@example.com to request a refund.
The reduced $475 registration fee includes the following:
- • Opening General Session With Keynote Speaker
- • Opening Night Celebration
- • Networking Reception in the Exhibit Hall
- • National Craft Championships Competitor Viewing and Lunch
- • Construction Management Competition Presentation Viewing
- • Association Excellence Awards With Keynote Speaker
- • Closing General Session With Keynote Speaker
- • Careers in Construction Awards
- • Closing Night Celebration
*The Excellence in Construction Awards gala is a separate ticketed event and is not included in convention registration.
Registration Cancellation Policies
If a current registrant elects not to attend ABC Convention 2020 in August, a full refund will be granted upon request. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to request a refund.
ABC will not reimburse for airline cancellation fees; however, attendees are encouraged to inquire about change policies to re-book for the August convention.
- • Speakers
ABC will work with convention speakers to present at another ABC event (the rescheduled ABC Convention 2020, Chapter Education Conference, Leadership Institute, etc.) and/or provide the opportunity to address convention attendees virtually. ABC will work with the speaker to mitigate travel expenses incurred, per the speaker’s agreement.
- • Excellence in Construction Awards Gala
If an EIC ticket holder(s) is unavailable to attend the gala in August, ABC’s first preference is to request that a substitute attend. If that option is not available, a full refund will be granted upon request.
- • National Craft Championships
All NCC events will take place at the rescheduled convention in August. All current NCC registrations will be applied to the rescheduled competition, unless otherwise notified. NCC competitors who elect not to attend ABC Convention 2020 will receive a full refund upon request.
- • Construction Management Competition
We plan to hold the Construction Management Competition Steps 1 and 2 virtually. Based on the scores of the first two components, 10 finalist teams will be selected to advance to Step 3 and invited to attend the convention in August to make their presentations in person to the judges. Each team must have four competitors and a faculty advisor in order to compete in the presentations. If a team elects to opt out of the competition completely, it will automatically receive a full refund. If a team decides to continue and submits Steps 1 and 2 for judging, and does not make the finals, the team automatically will be refunded the balance of their registration fee. All alternates will receive a full refund upon request and will not be eligible to attend the convention.
- • Exhibitor/Sponsors
Convention sponsorships will continue to be recognized on the ABC Convention 2020 website and will be honored on site in August. There will be no refunds for sponsorships, as many of the contracted deliverables have been provided. The rescheduled convention will feature a trade show, and all exhibitor contracts will be satisfied at that time. If an exhibitor elects to cancel, a full refund will be provided upon request.
IMPORTANT: Hotel Bookings
All hotel rooms booked for March via ABC’s room blocks will be cancelled with no penalty, and any late cancellation fees that were previously applicable will be waived. You don’t need to take any action unless you booked outside the room block. If you booked outside the room block, it is your responsibility to cancel your room(s).
Watch for information on hotel room blocks for August in the coming weeks.
Award Program Announcements
- • The Craft Professional, Craft Instructor and Young Professional of the Year will be announced in press releases on March 25. These three awards include a $10,000 prize that will be mailed to the winners in March, plus full registration, a hotel room and airfare for the rescheduled convention, where they will be recognized. Winners will be photographed for a cover story during the convention and featured in the October issue of Construction Executive magazine.
- • The Contractor of the Year will be announced in a press release on March 24, and the winner will be featured on the cover of the April issue of Construction Executive. The company will also be recognized on site at the convention.
- • Excellence in Construction® Award winners will be announced in a press release on March 24. The program will be published in the April issue of Construction Executive, and winners will be honored at the convention.
- • The Student Chapter of the Year will be announced in a press release on March 25. The winning school will be invited to send two of their students and the faculty advisory to attend ABC Legislative Week in Washington, D.C., June 16-17, 2020. The Student Chapter of the Year team will also be recognized at ABC Convention 2020.
We look forward to hosting a great event Aug. 17-19 in Nashville. Obviously, given the unprecedented events of the past weeks, there is no guarantee that further unforeseen circumstances will not arise. ABC will keep all registrants apprised of developments. Thank you for your patience.